The Kyiv Municipal Chamber Choir was founded in 1990. Choir members include professional singers, graduates of conservatories and musical institutes throughout Ukraine. Musical Director, Mykola Hobdych, graduated from Kyiv Chaikovsky Conservatory.
The Choir’s national and international repertoire includes medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic and modern music.
The Choir’s major awards include:
- Golden Diploma at the First Robert Schummann Competition in Zwikkau (Germany, 1992)
- First Award at the Twelfth International Church Music Festival in Hajnówka (Poland, 1993)
- Grand Prix at the Sixth International Choral Festival in Sligo (Ireland, 1993)
- Second Award at Langolen International Musical Eisteddfod (Wales, 1994)
- Grand Prix at the XX International Church Music Festival in Hajnówka (Poland, 2001)
The Choir has performed at:
- I International Avant-garde Festival in Munich (Germany, 1993)
- Cricklade Music Festival in Canterbury (England, 1995)
- “Copenhagen Is a Cultural Capital of Europe’96” Festival (Denmark, 1996)
- 32nd“Wratislavia Cantans’97” Festival of Music and Arts (Wroсław, 1997)
- Osterfestival, Innsbruck (Austria, 2000)
- Ecumenical divine service, Rome (Italy, 2000)
- International Congress “St. Luke Evangelist”, Padova (Italy, 2000)
- Days of Ukrainian culture in Germany (Berlin, Bonn, 2000)
- 15th festival “Warsaw’s musical meetings” (Poland, 2001)
- XX festival sacral music “Gaude Mater”, Chestokhovo (Poland, 2002)
- IV festival, Pannonhalm (Hungary, 2007)
- Moscow Easter festival (Russia, 2007)
- Choir festival “Gold Domed Kyiv” (Ukraine, 1997-2009)
- Festival “Old Krakow” (Poland, 2011)
- III International choir competiton (Randers, Denmark, 2012)
- 48 Festival of classical music “Vendsysselfestival” (Frederikshavn, Denmark, 2014)
- Sommarmusik (Varnhem, Sweden, 2015)
- Baltic Sea Festival (Stockholm, 2014-2015)
- Easter festival Hasselt (Belgium, 2016)
- Platinum concerts “Sounds of Ukraine” (USA, Canada, 2016)
- Arhus is Is a Cultural Capital of Europe (Denmark, 2017)
- Cantico Assisi Choral Fest (Italy, 2017)
- Festival “White nights’ (Odense, Copenhagen, 2018)
- Easter fest-tour (Washington, New York, Chicago, Toronto, 2019)
“Kyiv” Chamber Choir has performed more than 1500 concerts in the USA, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Poland, Hungary, Belorussia, Russia, and Ukraine.
The choir performed in Carnegie Hall (New York), the Washington National Cathedral, the Concert Hall of George Mason University; Roy Thomson Hall, Weston Recital Hall, Carnie Hall (Toronto ), Notre Dame Basilica (Montreal ), Notre-Dame Basilica (Montreal), BBC St. John’s Smith Square Concert Hall (London); Espace Pierre Cardin, Eglise Saint Roch (Paris); Notre Dame de Paris and Cathedrals in Rouen, Reims, Amien, Strasbourg, Charte, Nancy, Le Havre, Lille, Dieppe, Metz, Paris; in the Philharmonic Halls of Utrecht, Rotterdam, Amsterdam (Concertgebouw), Berlin, Minsk, Kyiv; Berlin Dom; Long Gallery (Kilkenny); Tivoli Concert Hal, Marmorkirke and Domkirke (København); opera theatres in Minsk and Kyiv; and the “Russia” Concert Hall (Moscow).
Reviews of “Kyiv” Chamber Choir performances have appeared in “The New York Times”, “The Washington Post”, “The Glasgow News”, “Normlandie”, “Nouvelles d’Alsacie”, “Der Tages Spiegel Berlin”, “Münchner Merkur”, “Kristeligt Dagblad” (Denmark), “Holos Ukrainy”…
The choir has recorded 50 CDs of national and international music.
The library of Choir Kyiv was created on the basis of the choir’s performances. The library includes a series of national choral scores from the middle ages to the present. The library also includes more than 200 musical collections of Ukrainian composers’ works, making these available to the public for the first time.